What Would You Give?
Yogi Berra said he’d give his right arm to be ambidextrous. While most first-time home buyers are not going to that extreme, it is interesting to see what sacrifices are being made according to the National Association of REALTORS® 2016 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers.
• 43% - cut spending on luxury or non-essential items
• 34% - cut spending on entertainment
• 27% - cut spending on clothes
• 14% - canceled vacation plans
• 9% - earned extra income through a second job
• 7% - sold or decided not to purchase a vehicle
• 44% - did not need to make any sacrifices
Forty-percent of first-time buyers experienced some difficulty during the mortgage application and approval process. Single, male buyers expressed a higher incidence of difficulty than single females and married or unmarried couples. Pre-approval from a qualified mortgage lender before the home search process begins is still considered the best advice for all buyers who will purchase with a mortgage. Your real estate professional can make recommendations for a loan officer that could help you avoid unnecessary aggravations.